Welcome to Sisters' Sintages, a blog about family, traditions, and good food.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Summer Tomatoes and Scrambled Eggs


It's that time of year again . The end of summer brings its bounty of vine- ripened tomatoes. If your lucky like me , they come from your vegetable garden. Recently I posted a note on Facebook anticipating the first tomatoes of the season. I received a note from my cousin Angie Seremelis, from Philadelphia, telling me that her mother, Eleni Seremelis, too was anxiously awaiting the first crop. She said her mom had a favorite recipe for scrambled eggs and tomatoes. I laughed when I read her comment because I was anticipating the very same favored dish. A few days later, I spoke to another cousin, Jim Argerakis, formerly of Philadelphia, now retired to Florida. We were talking about our moms, who were first cousins, and some of their recipes. Jim mentioned that his mom, Theia Aggerouka, had about ten different ways of cooking eggs with tomatoes. I don't know whether it's a family thing or a Brondadousiko thing(the town in Chios where my mom's family is from)but we all assosiate summer tomatoes with the wonderful scrambled eggs and tomato dishes our moms prepared. So in memory of Theia Aggerouka, Thei Tzina, Theia Asimina and my mom and in honor of Theia Eleni, I give you Avga me Ntomates (eggs and tomatoes).

Scrambled Eggs and Tomatoes

olive oil
2 eggs beaten
3 to 4 Roma tomatoes chopped coarsely(or any type tomato of your choice)
salt and pepper to taste
optional ingredients: 1/4 cup feta cheese or 1/4 cup sliced souzoukaki(pepperoni)

Heat enough olive oil tp cover bottom of small frying pan. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute. When the tomatoes have softened and released their juices, add the beaten eggs. Scramble gently, until eggs have just set. Be careful not to overcook, as the eggs will harden. Season with salt and pepper. This is the most simple of recipes. However, if you wish , you can add feta or souzoukaki(pepperoni)or both. If adding the feta, crumble it and add after adding beaten eggs. If adding the souzoukaki, slice it and saute slightly, before adding to beaten egg mixture. Fresh herbs, such as basil or oregano, also complement this dish.(Serves one)
Contact Jim for other variations to this dish.

PKK

No comments:

Post a Comment