Welcome to Sisters' Sintages, a blog about family, traditions, and good food.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Tradition.



I am again victorious this year. My red Easter egg emerged the winner in the famous Easter egg war which is a tradition in every Greek home during the breaking of the Lenten fast. Some families have their egg war when returning from the Resurrection midnight mass. In our family, Easter Sunday is the time when we crack our eggs.
Family and friends gather around the Lenox bowl and select their egg to do battle with. We then challenge each other and one by one the eggs get cracked. The person left with the uncracked egg is the winner and saves his egg in a special place until next years's battle.Three years ago my best friend Debbie spent her first Greek Easter with us. She was the winner that year, and she still has her red egg in a Tupperware container in her fridge. Last year Stella's friend Christian was the winner. This year I had the winning egg. I hope it brings me better health. In my dotage I have become like my mother. As she grew older, she always looked forward to having the winning Easter egg or to getting the lucky coin hidden in the Basilopitta. She felt it was a good luck omen and so do I.
PKK

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember ever being a winner in the egg wars....I wonder what that means??

    ReplyDelete